A big part of my self-care routine lately has been really trying to look after my skin. I am quite fair-skinned with a mild case of rosacea that is always threatening to flare up. I am prone to redness, blotchiness, and the occasional hormonal breakout. My rosacea has been especially active lately, so I try not to go to bed without removing my makeup (hence the makeup wipes on this list).
I'm always on the lookout for products that work with my sensitive skin and since I've discovered a few favorites, I wanted to share them with you today. Everything that I have listed here is vegan and cruelty free. These are the products that I now use daily to help my skin look and feel its best.
1. Derma-E Sensitive Skin Cleanser- This face wash happened to be on sale at Whole Foods and I was drawn, like a moth to a flame, to the words "gently lifts away makeup and impurities while reducing redness and irritation." SOLD! After a few days of use I was noticing that my skin looked clearer and the redness was definitely fading. I really like that it doesn't make my skin feel tight or dry. I use this along with the sonic face cleanser brush I talk about in more detail below.
2. Shea Moisture African Black Soap Facial Cleansing Wipes- I have tried SO many different brands of makeup removing/face cleansing wipes and this is my current favorite. I use this by itself on those nights where I'm feeling extra lazy (we've all been there) and don't have the energy for a full on face wash. I also use it after a cleanser to remove those last bits of mascara and liner that are trying to be the next day's smokey eye. Shea Moisture is very affordable and can be found at Walgreens, Target, and some grocery stores.
3. Solo MIO Sonic Face Cleanser and Massager Brush- A few years ago, I really wanted to try the "name brand" of this device. (Google "silicone sonic face cleanser" and you will see which device I am talking about.) I couldn't justify the price for something I wasn't sure was going to work for me so I hopped over to Amazon- lo and behold I found what appeared to be an extremely similar product- and for less than $40. I decided to take my chances and I ended up loving it! This leaves my face extra clean without feeling to dry or stripped of natural oils.
4. Josie Maran Argan Oil Skin Drops- I was out shopping with my sister around Christmas and she reminded me that I had a bunch of Sephora points I could redeem for one of their Beauty Insider boxes. I haven't been able to redeem them before because they had not offered a cruelty free brand. This time however, there was a Josie Maran Deluxe Box and I happily spent my points for several deluxe sample products. Included was a bottle of the Argan Oil Skin Drops and I've started using this when I need a little extra moisture, both AM and PM.
5. 100% Pure Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye Cream- One afternoon, after an unsuccessful trip to our local Renaissance Festival, I found myself in a random mall that had a 100% Pure store. I had heard a lot of good things about this brand and really appreciated that all of their products are really clean. This undereye cream is one of their best sellers so I thought I would dip my toes in the 100% Pure water and try it out. First, the smell is amazing-it really does smell just like coffee. Second, it is very moisturizing and sinks right into your skin. Third, it's great for use in the morning under your moisturizer as a way to counteract puffiness.
6. Pacifica Dreamy Youth Day and Night Face Cream- I discovered this at Ulta and figured I would give it a try after hearing Tashina over at Logical Harmony rave about it. I really love that a little goes a long way and it doesn't irritate my sensitive skin. It is very moisturizing and great for both AM and PM use. Pacifica is an extremely affordable brand and the best part is that all of their products are vegan and cruelty free. (It's nice to be able to shop completely within a brand!) Pacifica can be found at Ulta and Target which is great if you want to check out the products at a brick and mortar store.
7. Andalou Purple Carrot + C Luminous Night Cream- This was another Whole Foods purchase. (I think my husband gets nervous every time I walk by the beauty aisle.) I was looking for something I could start using at night and decided to try this cream. (I mean, who doesn't want luminous skin?) I use this product in the evening after washing my face with the Derma-E Sensitive Skin Cleanser. It is very lightweight and doesn't seem to irritate my skin. The cream sinks right in and leaves me with a fresh, glowy face when I wake up in the morning.The only downside is that it comes in a jar ( I would prefer a bottle and pump) but I just make sure that I wash my hands before I use it.
Of course it almost goes without saying that lots of water and a diet fueled by plants will go a long way in supporting your skin!
What are your skin care favorites?