Vegan Breakfast Tacos
The question I get most often, when it comes to vegan food, is "What can you eat for breakfast?" I will sing the praises of oatmeal all day long but sometimes you are just in the mood for something savory and reminiscent of the breakfast food you used to get on Saturday or Sunday mornings.
Enter...the BREAKFAST TACO, because let's be real here- ANY time is a good time for tacos.
I was SO HUNGRY when these were being prepped and I had to hold myself back from eating all of the individual ingredients. I'm looking at you, tofu scramble.
These burritos are hearty, flavorful, and can be made in batches and eaten during the week if you are short on time. They would also be a great weekend brunch option.
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (should I halve this for smaller portion?)
sweet potato seasonings *(detailed below)
1 block of extra firm tofu, drained and pressed/dried
tofu scramble seasonings**(detailed below)
frozen pepper mix
vegan breakfast sausages (I used the Field Roast Apple Maple Breakfast Sausages)
*Sweet Potato Hash Seasonings
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chili powder
dash of water or vegetable stock
**Tofu Scramble Seasonings
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp kala namak salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
dash of black pepper
dash of water to create liquid
- Preheat oven to 375° and line large baking pan with parchment paper.
- Dice sweet potatoes and place in large bowl.
- Pour Sweet Potato Hash Seasonings over diced sweet potatoes and mix until distributed evenly.
- Lay diced sweet potatoes on baking sheet in single layer and cook for 15 minutes. Stir/flip and cook for 15 minutes more, or until sweet potatoes are tender all the way through. (Check with toothpick.)
- Cook vegan sausages in a skillet with approx. 1/2 tsp of olive oil (or water or vegetable stock if you want to skip the oil and have a nice, non-stick pan)
- Saute frozen pepper mix in pan
- Slice cooked sausages and mix with cooked peppers in a bowl.
- Mix together Tofu Scramble Seasonings and set aside
- Crumble dried/pressed tofu into large pan and cook until mostly dry
- Add tofu seasonings to pan and stir to coat evenly.
- Heat flour tortillas approx. 10-15 seconds on a plate in the microwave
- Lay down a bed of spinach
- Add sweet potato hash
- Add tofu scramble
- Top with diced tomato and avocado slices
- Eat and hope you made enough to have seconds and thirds.
(As a side note, the kala namak really makes a difference in the taste of the scrambled tofu. I had never heard of this type of black salt, until some friend's of ours kindly gave us a container to try.)
If you have any of the scramble or hash left over, they can definitely be eaten separately and/or tossed on top of a big salad for dinner. Proof that you can have a delicious, healthy, filling breakfast without animal products!
If you try this recipe, I would love to see it! Leave a comment below or tag me over on Instagram.